Translate

Sunday, May 30, 2021

Country Music

Interesting how music can transport you back into time. 
 
Surfing TV I stumbled onto a Time/Life informercial of Classic Country music. My childhood flashed before me. Now I’m not a huge country music fan; it was too overly Nashville produced. If I had to listento country, I preferred the “outlaw” country with Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Jessi Colter, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard... the non bubblegum country.
 
But I digress. Growing up, relatives had all kinds of parties and celebrations. I remember vividly my uncle’s garage with the pool table, us pre teens sneaking Olympia or Coors from the 16 gallon keg hose. Always the radio or 8- Trak would blare Conway Twitty, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Ray Price...the list goes on and on and on. 

 
A number of times my uncle hosted sauna parties that brought neighbors in to participate in the fun. My Uncle would begin heating the sauna mid afternoon. Once ready, turns were taken to sauna in between the partying and yard games. We pre teens played kick the can throughout the night. In the background Ronnie Milsap, Charlie Pride, Charlie Rich, Kenny Rogers could be heard. Thirsty for soda pop, we’d head for the screen tent where the grown ups were partying. Along the way we kids thought it’d be funny to catch lightning bugs and let them loose in the adult’s screen tent. This distraction proved beneficial to sneak a sip from the keg hose. 
 
Good times! 
 
Five easy payments of $26.99 gets the entire collection. But wait, there’s more, Country Duets and liner notes!!! 
 
Yep, what a great Time Life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment