Translate

Sunday, June 6, 2021

Sacrificing Body and Limb


 

We decided to build a level path and kayak rack to make our lives easier. Lots of work, it's all rock and little dirt here.  After hours of raking, hoeing, using a  pick ax to dig holes for the concrete kayak rack post footings, I felt a twinge of tendinitis setting in. But no worries, we have cool Air Conditioned air to rest comfortably in.

Happy to say, Pop built a nice kayak rack.  It was a lot of work for sure.  As July gives way to August, we decided the AC unit should be put away.   Up into the loft I went to tackle this simple job.  I reached my left arm out the window to grab the back end of the stationary AC unit to help push in as I pulled with my right arm.  

That's when i felt it. A shooting pain from my left wrist,pinky and ring finger to my elbow.  Before i could think "this not good", pieces of plastic shot up into my line of sight like Mt Saint Hellens.  Ma and Karen screamed, yelling, "are you all right?!"

Still thinking I can catch it while staring at the AC unit now firmly resting on the deck far below, I ran down and for the door. Grabbing the door with my throbbing left hand, the pain nearly brought me to my knees. The three of us stood around the now deck mounted AC unit.  Ma and Karen were saying stuff, but I was still thinking how the hell did that happen. 

Pop came down from the garage. Looked at the deck mounted AC unit, looked up at the open window, then looked back down to the wayward AC unit and impressive debris field of plastic.  Pop simply said, "well, that's one way of getting it down."  

The result of this mishap; I'm out $$$ to buy a replacement AC unit, and lateral tendinitis in my left arm. I'm on steroids now for the tendinitis inflammation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment